When do you have time to make a healthy, well balanced breakfast? If you’re like me, you laughed at that question and quickly answered “basically never.”
In the morning, I’m typically always on the go. Whether it’s to/from the gym, taking the dog for a run, meeting media or rushing out the door to work, there isn’t a ton of time. I can rarely whip up some fresh, tasty protein pancakes or even a quick egg white omelet. I’m always trying to pre-make breakfasts that last over time, so I can grab them on the go.
Through my TIU Love Your Body challenge, I’ve been trying to to work on organizing ahead of time. Planning (meal prep especially), helps me focus my energy on other things in the moment – workouts, work, etc. It’s also more affordable! And often healthier! There’s always a temptation to go out and with that come pricey, unhealthy options.
I love that the TIU team has posted the idea of this CRAZY EASY recipe for a delicious, lasting, pre-makable breakfast…mini egg white frittatas!
WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE?! They are a serious no-brainer. You can add your own favorite frittata ingredients, but check out my basic recipe below:
- 3-4 C egg whites
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ½ C mushrooms (chopped)
- non-stick spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a cupcake pan with your non-stick spray, making sure to get inside the full cups.
- Add your chopped ingredients to each cup. Remember, you can make them however you want - so be creative and make each one different!
- Pour in egg whites and fill each cup (leaving approx. ⅛" space to the top of the pan).
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove pan and let cool for 5 minutes.
If you want to make the breakfast even more exciting (who doesn’t?), you can add some turkey bacon and/or avocado to your frittata! To add turkey bacon, place one strip into the pan cup first, then all the other ingredients. Top with fresh chopped avocado for healthy fats!
These will be my new favorite prepped breakfast meals, but I’d love to stock up other options! What are your favorites?