ONE WEEK UNTIL CHRISTMAS EVE! Want some presents now? (DUH.) I can help with that!
Anyway, I met some fun people from Unilever’s Good to Know team at Fitbloggin‘ (seriously, who did I NOT meet at Fitbloggin’ this year?!) and was very intrigued. I had been trying to get away from butter, but still hadn’t really found a spread I loved (aka one that Tom would eat regularly). Then, they introduced me to Brummel & Brown at their Fitbloggin’ event and I was hooked!
Brummel & Brown is made with YOGURT and it’s less than half the calories of butter! And it tastes good. I
Tom was SOLD. Also, it (and all the Unilever spreads)…
- Have 0g trans fat per serving
- Contain no partially hydrogenated oils
- Have no cholesterol
- Are 70% less fat than butter per serving!
- Have 30% fewer calories than butter per serving!
All good things, right? Right. :)
For the holiday season, Unilever challenged people to make a holiday cookie recipe with one of their spreads to test how they stand up to traditional butter. Now their website says B&B may not be the best for baking but I wanted to challenge that! (I only have one speed…challenging hahaha)
The Unilever team provided me with some great baking essentials to complete the challenge:
- Silpat baking sheet liner
- Steel cooling rack
- 17×11 Large nonstick cookie sheet
- Stainless steel cookie scoop
- $10 gift card to purchase baking ingredients
And now I have the amazing opportunity to give them away to YOU!
To enter to win Unilever Baking Prize Pack:
Leave a comment below telling me, “What would be your “Good to Know” holiday cookie creation?”
Post this giveaway link to YOUR personal or fan Facebook page and leave a separate comment here telling me you did so.
Subscribe to this blog by either email or RSS feed. Leave a separate comment telling me which way you did.
Deadline to enter is Friday, December 21, 2012, Midnight EST. Contest is open to United States residents ONLY. Winner will be chosen at random and contacted by email. Unilever will directly handle your “Good to Know” winnings. :)
Ok so here’s the good part – COOKIES!
I tested Brummel & Brown with my go-to sugar cookie recipe from the Southern Living Incredible Cookies cookbook.
Classic Sugar Cookies
- 1 C Brummel & Brown spread
- 1 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t salt
- In a medium to large bowl, beat the spread with an electric mixer for approx. 2 minutes of until creamy.
- Add sugar, beating well.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
- Gradually add flour (it may poof up if you add too quick!) and salt, beating until well blended.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill two halves for approx. 1 hour.
- At this point, I would traditionally roll out the dough and use cookie cutters BUT because I just got this shiny new cookie scoop, I decided to make drop cookies with some extra toppings I had!
- Scoop small sections of the dough onto baking sheet liner.
- Smush each ball just a little to flatten out cookie.
- Cover with your favorite toppings! I used chocolate chips, almonds and sprinkles!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. With the baking mat, it threw my timing off a little because it seems to change the way the cookies are heated – so it was closer to 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for approx. 1 minute on baking sheet then transfer to wire rack.
Good luck to everyone entering the giveaway contest!