Recently I discovered an incredibly easy recipe for making ice cream right at home! No churn needed. No random ingredients needed. Truthfully, you only need one thing…BANANAS.
Yes. All you need is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
Although this is new to me, many people in the health food world know this magical secret. I found out from a great post by The Kitchn and I’m all for passing on knowledge, so I want to share it with you! DIG IN…
- 1 ripe banana (or however many you want to make)
- 1 t almond butter
- Peel the banana(s) and cut them into coin-sized pieces.
- Put the bananas in an airtight container and freeze the bananas for at least 2 hours (but ideally overnight).
- Remove the frozen banana(s) and blend them in a small food processor, pulsing the frozen pieces.
- Keep blending — the banana will look crumbly. Scrape down the food processor.
- Keep blending — the banana will look gooey. Scrape down the food processor.
- Keep blending — the banana will look like oatmeal. Scrape down the food processor.
- Watch the magic happen! Suddenly, as the last bits of banana smooth out, you'll see the mixture shift from blended banana to creamy, soft-serve ice cream texture!
- Blend for a few more seconds to aerate the ice cream.
- Add in your almond butter (or any other mix-in ingredients you decide to include).
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid.
- Top with whatever you want (I chose fresh strawberries!) and enjoy!
Have you tried it yet? No? Go do it right now. Yep, I’ll wait right here. :)