Easter is just around the corner and that means the world has been posting all kinds of bunny/egg related things…Easter bunny pretzel bites, egg shaped macaroons, deviled egg chickies, carrot sprinkles and dyed egg creatures!
One that really caught my eye was this recipe for no-mayo egg salad! I really love egg salad, but there’s something not-so-appetizing about piling a ton of mayo into your bowl…Julia from The Roasted Root knows me at my core (without knowing me) and posted this recipe that swaps in avocado as the bind. I’ve been using avocado with my tuna salad for years – why didn’t I think to add it to egg salad?! What a great idea!!
It was super easy to make and you only need a few ingredients! Check out Julia’s recipe below and try it yourself! Definitely adding this to my recipe arsenal!
- 6 eggs (hard boiled)
- 1½ ripe avocados (peeled and mashed)
- 1½ T fresh lemon juice (or lime juice)
- ½ t sea salt, or to taste
- Add the eggs to a medium-sized pot and cover with a few inches of water. Cover and place on high heat. Bring water to a full (but gentle) boil and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain the water and immediately run cold water over the eggs. Transfer eggs to an ice bath and allow eggs to chill for 10 minutes. Refrigerate eggs until ready to use.
- Peel and roughly chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Add the avocado to a mixing bowl with the lemon juice and sea salt. Mash the avocado, leaving it slightly chunky if desired. Add the chopped hard boiled eggs and stir well to combine. Eat on toasted bread with watercress or greens of choice.
What’s your favorite healthy recipe swap?