We’ve been loving getting packages from Blue Apron recently! Each week we get a box of ingredients and recipes for three complete meals for two. It’s been a fun ride of new and different recipes that we honestly wouldn’t try before. And it’s SO easy. Even Tom enjoys how easy it is…
Below are some of my favorite pieces of recipes we’ve had so far!
Cabbage Apple Slaw
Original recipe: Blue Apron Salmon Pastrami on Rye
- 1 Granny smith apple
- 1 Lemon (cut into wedges)
- 1/4 head red cabbage
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1 T Honey
- 1 T Whole grain mustard
- Wash apples and cabbage. Core and chop into thin slices.
- Squeeze one lemon wedge over apples to prevent browning.
- In a medium bowl, combine mustard, honey and juice from two lemon wedges. Whisk in olive oil until mixed.
- Stir in cabbage and make sure the mix coats.
- Mix in apples. Season with salt and pepper.
Dried Cherry Pistachio Quinoa
Original recipe: Blue Apron Pan-Seared Chicken
- 3 T Dried cherries (chopped)
- 3 T Pistachios (chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 Shallot (chopped)
- 1/2 C Quinoa
- 5 oz Spinach
- 2 oz Feta cheese (optional)
- Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high
- Once the water is boiling, add the quinoa. Cook 11 to 13 minutes, or until tender. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- While the quinoa cooks, add the pistachios to a large, dry pan and heat on medium for 3-5 minutes, or until the nuts are toasted and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped shallot and garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add spinach and season with salt & pepper. Cook for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the cherries, pistachios and quinoa.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and heated through. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with feta, if you want. :)
Original recipe: Blue Apron Vietnamese Bun Cha
- 1/2 Shallot (chopped)
- 10 oz Ground pork
- 1 oz Hoisin sauce
- 1/4 Cup panko breadcrumbs
- In a medium bowl, combine ground pork, breadcrumbs, shallot and the hoisin sauce. Add salt and pepper.
- Roll mixture into 16-18 small meatballs (slightly smaller than a golf ball).
- In a large pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the meatballs and cook, stirring occasionally for about 6-8 minutes or until browned.
- (Now of course this is meant to go into this dish, but I LOVED them and I feel like you could put them with anything! Roasted veggies, etc. would be a great pair!)
Original recipe: Blue Apron Beef Ramen
- 9 oz Flank steak
- 4 oz Choy sum (finely chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 Scallions (sliced, white bottoms and green tops separated)
- 2 oz Enoki mushrooms (root cut off and discarded)
- 1 1-Inch piece ginger (chopped)
- 3 T Beef demi-glace
- 3 T White miso paste
- 2 T Soy sauce
- 1/8 C Hoisin sauce
- 4 t Olive oil
- 4 C Water
- 12 oz Fresh ramen noodles
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling on high.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a medium pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Cook the steak 3-4 minutes per side, or until it reaches your desired degree of doneness.
- Transfer the steak to a plate, leaving any drippings in the pot. Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes, loosely covering the plate with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- To the pot with the steak drippings, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and heat on medium until hot. Add garlic, ginger and white parts of scallion. Cook for approx 1-2 minutes.
- Add choy sum and season with salt and pepper. Cook approx. 1-3 minutes of until soft/wilted.
- Increase the heat to high. Stir in the mushrooms, beef demi-glace, miso past, soy sauce and water.
- While the soup is boiling, thinly slice the beef against (perpendicular to) the grain. Toss sliced steak with hoisin sauce until well coated.
- To the large pot of boiling water, add the ramen noodes and cook 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Then drain noodles.
- Add cooked noodles into the soup and remove from heat.
- When serving, lay flank steak slices on top. Garnish with green pieces of scallions.
Looking forward to move yummy recipes!